[CASL-L] Author Pablo Cartaya in CT in May 2023

Leslie Poulos l_poulos at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 4 13:21:15 PDT 2022

Good afternoon,

I am fortunate that the Wethersfield Education Foundation (thanks to Sedgwick Librarian Shannon McNeice who lives in town and is running it) wrote a grant that is bringing author Pablo Cartaya to Silas Deane Middle School on May 17, 2023. He is flying in from Florida.

The following day, since Pablo is in the area, he has availability-May 18. If anyone is interested, you can contact his assistant, Sophie Tirado.

The information below describes how he runs author visits. We have included his travel in the grant we wrote, but you might have to figure in some travel expenses (hotel/food) if he stays another night.

From his assistant Sophie Tirado:
Sophie at pablocartaya.com

“Pablo’s visits usually consist of three different "shows" each lasting 45 minutes to an hour, and can be any of the following:

1. a schoolwide presentation,
2. a classroom visit,
3. a writing workshop, and/or
4. lunch with a few faculty and students.

A Q&A and book signing are automatically included in the in-person visit, and the honorarium for such a visit would be $3,500 plus a stipend for travel/lodging/airfare costs which comes to $1,000. Additionally, there is a 10% discount on the honorarium for purchasing books (over 100) from a local independent bookstore, since you're interested in buying books. “

Thought I’d pass on the info in case anyone is interested. You can contact his assistant. I also shared the information with Riverbend Bookshop.

Best,
Leslie Poulos
SDMS LMS

Sent from my iPhone