[CASL-L] Middle School Research Help

Alexandra Grundt aegrundt at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 18:17:49 PDT 2023

Hi All,

I got a last minute request from our 7th grade social studies teachers
asking for more accessible resources for research on the African slave
trade. They would like to start researching for a debate on Wednesday, but
I'm teaching all day tomorrow, so I don't have a lot of time to look
through sources. The research will be for a debate on the following:  "Who
benefited most from the slave trade?".

   1. European Merchants (British, Spanish, French, Portuguese etc.)
   benefitted the most.
   2. Kings of African Nations (Kongo, Angola, Dahomey, etc).
   3. Plantation owners in the colonies (this could be in North America,
   South America, or the Caribbean).

We subscribe to Britannica, Gale, and FreedomFlix, so I sent them those
links to get started. Has anyone used any helpful websites on this topic?
We're looking for sites accessible to reading levels more at an upper
elementary level.

Thank you!
Allie Johnston
Har-Bur Middle School