[CASL-L] Bear Town by Fredrik Bachman

Cathy Andronik cathyandronik at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 17 09:28:43 PST 2023

 Bear Town was a Nutmeg High School Book Award selection in 2020.  I was on the  committee that included it.
There are many difficult themes for students in grades 11 and 12 to discuss in this book, given administrative support.  Yes, some of those themes--and not just the rape scene--will make students uncomfortable.  The interesting thing about this book versus some of the other books featuring toxic masculinity I've seen used in classes (Speak, The Secret Life of Bees, The Lovely Bones, etc.) is that Bear Town is written by a man, and the boys' point of view is explored at length.
Just also adding that Bear Town was a fairly well done HBO series a couple of years ago, for purposes of comparison.
Cathy Andronik