[CASL-L] Job opening at Choate

Courtney Jaser cjaser at choate.edu
Tue May 23 12:16:03 PDT 2023

Hi all,

Choate is hiring a Teaching and Resource Librarian. Please see the job description below and here’s the link to our employment webpage<https://www.choate.edu/about/employment>.

Best,
Courtney

Teaching and Resource Librarian, Wallingford

  *   General Information
o  Job Title:
Teaching and Resource Librarian
o  Location:

        *   333 Christian Street
        *   Wallingford, CT, 06492
        *   United States
o  Employee Type:
Exempt FT
o  Job Category:
Library, Faculty
o  Minimum Experience:
3 Years
o  Required Degree:
Masters

  *   Description
Choate Rosemary Hall seeks a dynamic educator-library leader to join a blended faculty librarian team. The Teaching and Resource Librarian is an administrative year plus summer associate faculty position reporting to the Director of the Andrew Mellon Library. The successful candidate will be motivated and team-oriented with broad experience in library instruction, innovative technology tools, pedagogical best practices, and library programming. We are looking for an individual who is a self-starter and eager to participate in a collegial partnership in support of scholarly practices, and skilled at helping others of a variety of levels of expertise using commonly deployed digital tools. This individual will be comfortable collaborating with groups or departments to create programs that facilitate student learning and enrichment.

To fulfill the responsibilities, the Teaching Librarian:

     *   Serves as a member of the library’s research and instruction team

     *   Serves as librarian liaison to two academic departments

     *   Assists in implementing digital tools and technologies to promote student project creation

     *   Assists in development, inclusion, and evaluation of digital instruction

     *   Collaborates with student organizations to create library programming and resource displays

     *   Develops user-centered tools for research and instruction units in collaboration with colleagues

     *   Teaches and provides guidance in the use of technological tools

     *   Creates LibGuides in collaboration with members of the school community

     *   Provides relevant embedded instruction in research and citation skills

     *   Utilizes innovative learning technologies and pedagogies in support of student learning

     *   Assists faculty, staff, and student research, providing assistance online and in-person, for both one-on-one research consultations and at service points in the library

     *   Participates in a collegial team environment with other faculty librarians to oversee and curate collections and services

     *   Engages in ongoing professional development

  *   Requirements

     *   Master’s degree in library science from an accredited college or university

     *   Minimum 3 years library experience in an academic setting or independent school environment

     *   Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills

     *   Ability to prioritize and manage multiple assignments concurrently, perform well under pressure, and meet deadlines, while ensuring acute attention to detail and accuracy

     *   Willingness to work some evenings and weekends
Preferred

     *   Familiarity using emerging technologies, including podcasting, videography, AI/VR, Adobe products, iPad apps

     *   Background in at least one of the STEM fields

     *   Experience teaching in a middle or high school setting

  *   Summary
The Andrew Mellon Library at Choate Rosemary Hall is at the heart of teaching and learning. The library’s mission is to enhance the academic environment and support the education of each of our students. The library prides itself on being a collaborative learning hub for the community. Library faculty collaborate with teaching faculty to support students and provide instruction in information literacy and research. They also provide student skill development, including organization and time-management skills, project development, and academic-technology support. Students, faculty, and staff have access to over 170,000 titles including 130,000 eBooks and over 50 scholarly databases. In addition, the library makes textbooks, laptops, chargers, headphones, and other technologies available to the Choate community.

Choate Rosemary Hall is a coeducational, independent secondary school located in central Connecticut with 850 boarding and day students and over 300 employees. Choate serves intellectually gifted and motivated students of diverse backgrounds from across the globe whose commitment to serious study is enhanced in an academically challenging and personally supportive setting.

Choate provides students with transformative and meaningful experiences that instill lifelong habits of learning, leadership, and service, shaped by innovative and passionate educators. Faculty at Choate are innovative, collaborative, and committed to our students' intellectual, social, emotional, and character development. Our faculty understands that each of our students has the potential for growth and works to encourage students to develop their own ideas and voices in learner-centered environments.

For its students and employees alike, Choate strives to be a diverse and inclusive community where all feel valued and embraced. On our campus, principled individuals from diverse backgrounds are united through common purpose, active engagement, and mutual respect. We celebrate difference and the richness of our varied backgrounds and experiences. Recognizing that living in an inclusive community can also present challenges, we embrace those challenges through ongoing dialogue and interaction, enhancing empathy and appreciation for those whose perspectives differ.

Courtney Jaser
She/Her/Hers
Andrew Mellon Library
Choate Rosemary Hall