[CASL-L] Thank you to the CASL Community!

Porier, Anne aporier at wallingfordschools.org
Sat May 27 19:03:25 PDT 2023

Dear CT Library Community,

It is with great relief that I report that the Wallingford CT Board of
Education opted to keep our school libraries intact and not cut any
positions from our department as they attempted to meet a budget shortfall.
While this has been a stressful and upsetting experience, with many hours
of the last week spent researching, rallying the community, and composing
letters in support of maintaining a full-time certified librarian in every
school, there was an amazing silver lining. That was without a doubt the
support we felt from this extraordinary library community. On behalf of the
Wallingford Public School Librarians, I would like to express our deepest
gratitude for all you have done. The email messages of support, assistance
with researching other districts in our DRG, letters sent to our Board of
Education and Central Office administrators, and offers to attend the
budget workshop meeting were truly overwhelming and each was truly
appreciated.

I would like to say a special thanks to Barbara Johnson, ever the champion
of our school libraries, for bringing our plight to the national level. You
are a gift to the library community and our students. The change you make
at the local, state, and national levels is beyond compare. Thank you for
ALL you do!

I have always felt extremely lucky and proud to be a part of the CASL/
AASL/ ALA community. The show of support in our district’s time of need
surpassed anything I thought possible.

>From the bottom of our hearts, we thank you, and please know we are here
for each of you as well!

Sincerely,