[Gospel Way Update | Gospel+Way] Fatherhood and Absent Fathers - Gospel Way Update for Dec

Gospelway: Free monthly email Bible study articles gospelway at mylist.net
Sun Dec 1 12:27:12 PST 2019

** David E. Pratte
** 316 North St., Utica, OH 43080
** On the web: www dot gospelway dot com
** Email: Contact us at www dot gospelway dot com/comments dot php

Bible students,

New Topical Study about the Authority of the Bible

We have just published a new topical book entitled “It Is Written: The
Authority of the Bible.”

As the title states, this is a study of Bible authority. It includes
studies of the need for Bible authority, Bible Examples and Necessary
Inferences, the Old Testament, and other religious guides such as
creeds, direct revelation, conscience, church traditions, and others.

6" x 9", 160+ pages, List Price: $9.95

We now also published the following topical studies in book form:

Growing a Godly Marriage & Raising Godly Children
Why Believe in God, Jesus, and the Bible? (evidences)
The God of the Bible (study of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit)
Salvation through Jesus Christ: Basics of Forgiveness
Grace, Faith, and Obedience: The Gospel or Calvinism?
Kingdom of Christ: Future Millennium or Present Spiritual Reign?
Do Not Sin Against the Child: Abortion, Unborn Life, & the Bible
True Words of God: Bible Inspiration and Preservation

We have also published Bible class books and commentaries on many books
of the old and New Testament. And please remember that many of our
commentaries are available in hardback.

To learn more about our books that have been professionally printed, go to
www.gospelway.com/sales/books

Note that, if you click on the link for a book, in most cases Amazon
will offer for you to preview the contents before you buy.

The Challenge of Fatherhood and Absent Fathers

Families in our society are challenged by perverted and confused
concepts of the role of fatherhood, including the problems of absent and
negligent fathers. This causes many troubled children and much confusion
about the nature of God as our Father.

This is the subject of this month's Bible study article, which is
included below in plain text format. To read this article online, go to
www dot gospelway dot com/family. PowerPoint charts are also available.

  =============================

  We also have a Facebook page to inform others about the commentaries,
workbooks, and topical Bible study books we are publishing. You can read
and like this page at:

  www dot facebook dot com/PratteBiblePublications

  ======================================

  To view our archives of past articles from this Gospel Way Update
Newsletter, see our blog at bible-study-lessons dot blogspot dot com

  To join our Facebook group, go to

  www dot facebook dot com/Bible dot Lesson dot Studies

  To contact us by e-mail go to www dot gospelway dot com/comments dot php

  To change your e-mail address or to be removed from our mailing list
please see the link at the end of this message.

The Challenge of Fatherhood and Absent Fathers

Introduction:
*************

Courageous is the name of a movie and book by Randy Alcorn about five
fathers.

The sheriff challenges the men with a study: "The study shows when a
father is absent, kids are five times more likely to commit suicide, ten
times more likely to abuse drugs, fourteen times more likely to commit
rape, and twenty times more likely to go to prison." (page 16)

The men eventually made a pledge to become the kind of fathers that
God’s word says fathers should be. The story tells the challenges and
difficulties each of them faced.

The story has mild issues I do not endorse [modesty, dancing,
denominational doctrines]. Nevertheless, with discernment, the movie or
book will give important challenges to all of us.

Our purpose in this study is to consider important challenges facing
fathers.

Modern philosophies and entertainment bombard us with perverted concepts
of fathers. As a result, many men are confused about their role as a
father. Worse yet, when the Bible speaks of God as our "Father," people
who had a poor relationship with their earthly father often find it
difficult to relate properly to their heavenly Father.

Consider the following challenging thoughts for fathers suggested by the
movie/book:

The Challenge to Maintain Close Family Ties

Consider the Problem of Absent Fathers
======================================

 From National Fatherhood Initiative and Focus on the Family:

According to the US Census Bureau, 24 million children live without
their biological father: that's one out of every three children. For
teens aged 15-17, 54 percent of them their biological parents are no
longer married or never did marry. Consider the consequences:

Poverty: The poverty rate for children with absent fathers is four times
as great as children of married couples.

Unwed mothers: When fathers are absent, teenage daughters are seven
times more like to become pregnant.

Drug and alcohol abuse: The National Center for Fathering says that
fatherless children are 10 times more likely to abuse chemical substances.

Education: Fatherless children are twice as likely to drop out of high
school.

Emotional problems, abuse, and crime: When fathers are absent, children
are more likely to be abused, have behavioral problems, commit crime,
and/or go to prison.

Doug Mainwaring left his wife and children to live as a gay man. Later,
he returned to his family, primarily because he realized his children
needed a mother and a father. He says: "To give kids two moms or two
dads is to withhold ... someone whom they desperately need and deserve
in order to be whole and happy."

 From the book Courageous
*************************

One man says, "Divorce comes with the territory now." Another responds,
"Divorce happens because you make it an option." (page 68)

One says his parents "...were never married ... my dad ... Had six
children from three women ... I’m thirty-seven years old, and I have
never met my biological father." (pages 68,69)

One explains that men "... have been told abortion is between a woman
and her doctor. Well, if I have no say over whether the child even
lives, if that’s entirely the mother’s call, then why should I have
anything to do with raising the child? The man is either the father of
the child or he isn’t – you can’t have it both ways." (page 69)

Another man said: "I hooked up with a cheerleader in college. She got
pregnant. I told her to take care of it, but she wouldn’t do it. I got
mad and left her to deal with it herself. She lives just thirty minutes
away, but all these years I couldn’t bring myself to go see her." (page 172)

This describes typical problems in our society caused by absent and
negligent fathers.

The Bible Teaching
==================

God’s plan shows children need both a father and a mother.

Proverbs 1:8 – Children should hear the instructions of their fathers
and not forsake the law of their mothers. (6:20; 23:22)

Ephesians 6:2,3 – Children should honor their father and the mother

One reason God restricted the sexual union to the marriage of one man
and one woman, is so children have a family with both a father and a
mother to raise them.

(Genesis 1:26-28; 2:24; Luke 2:48,51; Mark 5:40; Leviticus 19:3;
Proverbs 30:17; Matthew 15:4; 19:19)

God views fatherlessness as a serious problem.

Deuteronomy 10:18 – God administers justice for the fatherless and the
widow...

Psalms 68:5 – A father of the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God
in His holy habitation.

Psalms 27:10 – When my father and my mother forsake me, then the Lord
will take care of me.

If God is so concerned about children without fathers, what right do we
have to deliberately choose to make children fatherless by divorce,
cohabitation, single-parenting, or homosexuality?

(Isaiah 1:17; 1:23; 10:2; Psalms 82:3; 10:18; 10:14; 146:9; Deuteronomy
27:19; 14:29; 16:11,14; 24:17; 26:12; 27:19; Jeremiah 7:6; Job 24:3,9;
29:12; 31:21; 5:28; 22:3; James 1:27)

God sets the example of a Father who is present with His people.

Psalm 23:4 – Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of
death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your
staff, they comfort me.

Hebrews 13:5 – He Himself has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake
you."

Unlike many fathers, God will never leave or forsake His children. God
is not an absent father!

(John 14:23; Deuteronomy 31:6,8; Joshua 1:5,9; Genesis 31:3; Isaiah 43:2)

Fathers should know their children like God seeks to know His children.

John 17:3 – And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only
true God.

John 10:14,27 – I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am
known by My own.

In the movie "The Sound of Music," the father had distanced himself from
his children. When he realized his mistake, he said, "I don’t know my
children." How many fathers have made a similar mistake? Do we
personally know each one of our children so we love and care for them?

(Philippians 3:8,10; 1 John 5:20; Jeremiah 24:7; Daniel 11:32; Hosea
5:4; 6:6; 1 Corinthians 1:21; 8:3; John 14:23; Galatians 4:9; 1 Timothy
4:5; Titus 1:16; 2 Peter 1:2,3; 1 John 2:14; 3:1; 4:6,7,8)

Fathers should love their children like God loves His children.

1 John 4:7-10 – Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God;
and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. He who does not
love does not know God, for God is love. God made known His love by
sending Jesus to die for us.

Luke 15:17-22 – When the prodigal son repented, his father received him
with love, affection, and compassion.

God not only knows His children, but He loves and cares for each one. Do
we as fathers love and care for each of our children?

(Psalms 103:13; John 14:21-23)

Fathers should seek a harmonious relationship with their children like
God seeks fellowship, oneness, and unity with His children.

1 John 1:3 – God desires to have fellowship with His children.

John 17:21 – Jesus prayed that His followers all may be one, "as You,
Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us."

God desires close oneness with each of His children. Do we as fathers
seek to develop that relationship with our children?

(1 Corinthians 1:9; Proverbs 17:6)

Fathers should communicate with their children as God does with His
children.

Genesis 3:8ff – Before man sinned, God personally walked and talked with
man in the garden.

2 Timothy 3:16,17 – Today the Father communicates with us through the
Scriptures.

Matthew 6:9 – We communicate to the Father in prayer (Matthew 7:8-11).

Revelation 21:3 – Someday in heaven we will again be in God’s personal
presence.

When people do not study and pray, they are not communicating with their
heavenly Father. They are failing to build a personal relationship.
Likewise, when we do not spend time with our children to know and care
for them, we are failing to build a personal relationship with them.

In Courageous one man concludes: "Any [man] can father a child, but it
takes courage to be a child’s father. To be there for them." (page 172)

Another man read the following quotation: "At the end of his life, no
man says, ‘I wish I had spent less time with my children.’" (page 332)

The Challenge to Be the Family Provider and Protector

In Courageous one man was a good family man but struggled to find
employment to provide for them. Being the family provider involves
challenges.

The Example of God as Provider
==============================

Matthew 7:7-11 – Like an earthly father, our heavenly Father gives good
gifts to his children.

James 1:17 – Every good and perfect gift is from our Father.

(Galatians 1:3-4; Matthew 6:8-13,25-34; 10:29; John 15:16; 16:23,24; 1
John 3:9,41; Ephesians 1:3; 5:20)

Earthly Fathers Likewise Should Provide for Their Families.

Luke 11:11 – If a son asks his father for bread, will he give him a
stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent? Fathers
should not give children everything they ask for. We should give what is
good for them: that which contributes to their wellbeing.

1 Timothy 5:8 – If anyone does not provide for his own, and especially
for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an
unbeliever.

Earthly fathers demonstrate love by providing what children need. But
some fathers refuse to hold down a job. Some use the money they earn to
please themselves instead of caring for the family. And some simply
desert the family and leave. All such are neglecting their duty as fathers.

And many fathers think they have done their job if they provide material
things, but they neglect other important needs. Meeting the needs of
children includes spiritual training, guidance, and discipline. Fathers
should strive to meet all their children’s needs.

(Hebrews 12:4-11; Ephesians 3:14-21; Matthew 7:11; Genesis 37)

The Challenge to Be the Spiritual Leader, Instructor, and Authority Figure

Consider the Problem of Absent or Negligent Fathers

Elizabeth Marquardt, whose parents divorced, studied the effects of
divorce.*

"One of the things we discovered in our study is that young adults from
divorced families were less likely to be religious when they grew up
.... They were less likely to be a member of a house of worship. They
were less likely to hold a leadership position there. ... The image of
God as a father, ... who’s there for you, protecting you, supporting and
providing for you, is an increasingly unfamiliar experience for a lot of
young people today."

* From "The High Cost of Fatherlessness: To Children" by Jeff Johnston

 From the book/movie Courageous
******************************

One of the men says: "I read that if boys grow up with mothers who
attend church and fathers who don’t, a huge percentage stop going. But
when the father goes to church, even if the mother doesn’t, the great
majority of boys attend church as adults." (page 298)

One said, "You can’t fall asleep at the wheel only to wake up one day
and realize that your job or your hobbies have no eternal value, but the
souls of your children do." (Page 355)

One read the following quotation from Spurgeon: "Fearless of all
consequences, you must do the right ... turn not your back like a
coward, but play the man ... Better a brief warfare and eternal rest,
than false peace and everlasting torment." (page 332)

The Bible Teaching
==================

The father should exercise authority.
*************************************

Authority is the right to make rules that others are expected to obey.
Modern society rebels against every kind of authority, especially that
of fathers. But Scripture teaches that fathers are the head of their
family and should use their authority for the good of all. This includes
instructing the children.

Matthew 6:9,10 – Our Father in heaven is the ultimate authority figure.
His will should be done on earth, as it is in heaven. (7:21; 28:18)

When people think that authority is not a masculine quality or that God
should be a mother, they serve a false god. One of the main reasons the
Bible describes God as our Father is that God is an authority figure,
and authority is primarily a masculine characteristic.

Ephesians 6:4 – And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath,
but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord.

Fathers should exercise authority and use it wisely for the good of
their children. But they should also do so in order to demonstrate to
children the true nature of God.

(Colossians 3:13-20)

The father should be a spiritual teacher.

Genesis 18:19 – Abraham commanded his children and his household after
him, that they keep the way of the Lord, to do righteousness and justice.

Isaiah 38:19 – The father shall make known [God’s] truth to the children.

Ephesians 6:4 – Fathers should bring children up in the training and
admonition of the Lord.

Fathers are responsible to train their children to understand God’s
word. But far too often fathers fail because they are absent or
negligent, or because they think this is the responsibility of the
mothers. Fathers must take the lead and actively teach their children.

(1 Thessalonians 2:11; Deuteronomy 6:6-9; John 6:44,45; Matthew 6:13;
11:25-27; 16:17; 24:36; John 12:48-50; 15:15,16; Proverbs 1:8; 3:12;
4:1; 23:22)

The father must set a good example.
***********************************

Learning any task is easier if we can observe others. We learn to drive
a car, cook a meal, etc. by example. Children are more likely to be
righteous if they can see a good example in their father.

1 Peter 1:14-17 – Be obedient children. Be holy because God is holy. God
our Father sets an example of holiness that we should imitate.

1 Kings 15:3 – Abijam walked in the sins of his father. Many such
statements can be found regarding kings of Israel and Judah. Children
often imitate their parents’ sins.

In Courageous one man says his dad told him he better never catch him
drinking. But his dad had a beer in hand at the time. The son said,
"It’s kind of hard to respect a hypocrite." (page 68)

God expects fathers to teach the truth to their children, not just by
word-of-mouth, but also by proper example. What kind of example does an
absent father set? Fathers must be actively involved in their children’s
lives, showing them how to serve God faithfully.

The father should lead in giving punishments and rewards.

Again, many people in our society rebel against these concepts. Yet,
part of the masculine role is to punish children for disobedience and
reward them for obedience.

Hebrews 11:6 – Our heavenly Father rewards those who diligently seek Him.

John 15:1-6 – The Father takes away branches that bear no fruit and
casts them into the fire.

Hebrews 12:7,9 – If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with
sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten? Human
fathers corrected us, and we paid them respect.

1 Samuel 2:25-30; 3:12-14 – Eli and his family were rejected from being
priests because he failed to chastise his sons.

Earthly fathers should properly administer rewards and punishments to
our children. When we do so, we help people understand the nature of God.

When police arrested two teen gang members for drug dealing, one officer
asked, "Where’s your daddy?" The teen answered, "Ain’ got no daddy."

Another teen, when asked why he got involved with the gang, answered, "I
ain’t got nobody, man. I just ain’t got nobody." (page 344)

Negligent and absent fathers leave their children vulnerable to the
evils of society: gangs, drugs, sexual immorality, and false teaching in
schools and in religion. Fathers are responsible to guide and protect
their children by instruction and discipline.

(Proverbs 13:24; Luke 15:11ff; Matthew 18:35; 1 Peter 1:7)

Conclusion

In Courageous one man bought a new suit. When he put it on, he said, "I
feel like a rich man." His wife responded, "... you are a rich man. You
have a strong faith, two children that love you, and a wife that adores
you" (pages 184,185). No amount of money, financial investments, or long
hours on the job can purchase these riches. They come only from
dedication to developing good family relations and good spiritual
leadership based on God’s word.

The book ends as one man challenges men to accept the responsibility of
fatherhood. He says:

"You don’t have to ask who will guide my family because by God’s grace,
I will. You don’t have to ask who will teach my son to follow Christ
because I will. Who will accept the responsibility of providing for and
protecting my family? ... I am their father; I will. ... I want the
favor of God and His blessing on my home. ... fathers who fear the Lord
... It’s time to rise up and answer the call that God has given to you
and say, I will! I will! I will!" (page 356)

Joshua 24:15 – We must say with Joshua, "As for me and my house, we will
serve the Lord."

Sources:

https://www.focusonthefamily.com/socialissues/marriage/high-cost-of-fatherlessness/high-cost-of-fatherlessness-to-all-of-us

https://www.focusonthefamily.com/socialissues/marriage/high-cost-of-fatherlessness/high-cost-to-fatherlessness-to-children

"The Father Absence Crisis in America," National Fatherhood Initiative

(c) Copyright David E. Pratte, 2019

Remember that nearly all materials we send out are copyrighted by the
author. We ask you to respect the author's rights. You are free to keep
copies of this material on computer and/or in printed form for your own
further study. If you know someone who would like a copy of this
material, simply have them visit our web site at www dot gospelway dot
com/instruct/. If you have any other requests about the use of this
material, please read our copyright guidelines at www dot gospelway dot
com/copyrite dot htm.

  For a complete list of Bible articles and study materials by the
author please visit these web sites: www dot gospelway dot com and www
dot biblestudylessons dot com.

  To e-mail us, use our comment page at www dot gospelway dot
com/comments dot php