[MCOH-EH] PAPR USE IN ACUTE CARE SETTING

Karen Chase Karen.Chase at newlondonhospital.org
Wed Aug 6 11:08:25 PDT 2014

Training and information. This paragraph requires the employer to provide effective training to employees who are required to use respirators. The training must be comprehensive, understandable, and recur annually, and more often if necessary. This paragraph also requires the employer to provide the basic information on respirators in Appendix D of this section to employees who wear respirators when not required by this section or by the employer to do so.
1910.134(k)(1)
The employer shall ensure that each employee can demonstrate knowledge of at least the following:
1910.134(k)(1)(I)
Why the respirator is necessary and how improper fit, usage, or maintenance can compromise the protective effect of the respirator;
1910.134(k)(1)(ii)
What the limitations and capabilities of the respirator are;
1910.134(k)(1)(iii)
How to use the respirator effectively in emergency situations, including situations in which the respirator malfunctions;
1910.134(k)(1)(iv)
How to inspect, put on and remove, use, and check the seals of the respirator;
1910.134(k)(1)(v)
What the procedures are for maintenance and storage of the respirator;
1910.134(k)(1)(vi)
How to recognize medical signs and symptoms that may limit or prevent the effective use of respirators; and
1910.134(k)(1)(vii)
OSHA General Industry Standard on Respiratory Protection  29 CFR 1910.134

The general requirements of this section.
1910.134(k)(2)
The training shall be conducted in a manner that is understandable to the employee.
1910.134(k)(3)
The employer shall provide the training prior to requiring the employee to use a respirator in the workplace.
1910.134(k)(4)
An employer who is able to demonstrate that a new employee has received training within the last 12 months that addresses the elements specified in paragraph (k)(1)(i) through (vii) is not required to repeat such training provided that, as required by paragraph (k)(1), the employee can demonstrate knowledge of those element(s). Previous training not repeated initially by the employer must be provided no later than 12 months from the date of the previous training.
1910.134(k)(5)
Retraining shall be administered annually, and when the following situations occur:
1910.134(k)(5)(i)
Changes in the workplace or the type of respirator render previous training obsolete;
1910.134(k)(5)(ii)
Inadequacies in the employee's knowledge or use of the respirator indicate that the employee has not retained the requisite understanding or skill; or
1910.134(k)(5)(iii)
Any other situation arises in which retraining appears necessary to ensure safe respirator use.
1910.134(k)(6)
The basic advisory information on respirators, as presented in Appendix D of this section, shall be provided by the employer in any written or oral format, to employees who wear respirators when such use is not required by this section or by the employer.

Karen Chase RN
Manager Infection Prevention & Control
Employee Health
New London Hospital
273 County Road
New London, NH 03257
tel 603-526-5548
fax 603-526-5176
email   Karen.Chase at NewLondonHospital.org

The contents of this message may contain private, protected and/or privileged information.
If you received this message in error, you should destroy the e-mail message and any attachments
or copies, and you are prohibited from retaining, distributing, disclosing or using any information contained within.
Please contact the sender and advise of the erroneous delivery by return e-mail or telephone.
Thank you for your cooperation.

>>> "Senior, Cathy (DRMC)" <CESenior at phhealthcare.org> 08/06/2014 2:00 PM >>>

We have all employees do this questionnaire on hire.  That is what I want to know if it is an annual requirement for PAPR use.  I realize that is it an annual requirement for fit testing for the N95 but wanted to omit the annual questionnaire for those using a paper.  Also how do you do your annual training on the paper?

Cathy Senior RN BSN CDE
Employee Health Director
Penn Highlands DuBois
100 Hospital Avenue