[MCOH-EH] HIPAA and health care workers

Dr Joe Fanucchi drjoe at meditrax.com
Fri Aug 8 11:54:33 PDT 2014

Colleagues,

In my role as president of an employee health software company, I am
rooutinely asked to sign Business Associate Agreements (HIPAA
confidentiality agreements) with the hospitals using our software --
since in the course of converting their legacy databases and providing
ongoing support, we routinely view medical information pertaining to
employees, volunteers, contractors, students and licensed independent
professionals.

Today I was intrigued that an individual with the title General Counsel
for Health Sciences informed me that their medical center does not
consider the personal medical information contained in their employee
health database to be protected by HIPAA. I'd be interested in knowing
how prevalent this position is. Has anyone else been given that
information by their hospital's legal department? If you're not
comfortable revealing the name of the institution, please feel free to
reply to me individually rather than to the entire list.

Respectfully,

Joe Fanucchi

--
*Joe Fanucchi MD FACOEM*