[MCOH-EH] info re: Fit for Duty related to WC costs

Shea, Joann jshea at tgh.org
Tue Aug 26 12:24:49 PDT 2014

We do not perform any type of functional capacity examination on our hires at this time.  We have also looked at some of the FCEs available, but it was not feasible for our organization  at the time due to logistics of scheduling, staffing and cost.  We have done root cause analysis of our injuries and review our claims in detail.    When we look at our high cost and high frequency claims, most would have probably passed a functional capacity examination on hire.     You also risk opening a BIG can of worms with ADA by denying employment based on the results of one test.   An annual FCE would make more sense as many of our employees get injured as they get older and are here longer.

  This is only anecdotal information and I can’t provide a statistical analysis favoring a preplacement FCE one way or the other.  I don’t know how to quantify a reduction in WC costs without actually implementing the FCE.

We are also concerned about the aging population and increased acuity of patients as we are a Level 1 Trauma center that focuses on critical care.  Our hospital chooses to spend our resources on prevention of injuries through our Injury Prevention Program and we have been able to quantify a significant decrease in  back injuries (both frequency and severity) with this program.

Employee Health coordinates our  Injury Prevention Program with 22 FTEs on our Lift Team and an Injury Prevention Coordinator (PT) and an Ergonomic Specilaist (OT).  We also budget for all  lift/transfer equipment housewide in our cost center and our IPC trials and implements all equipment and provides training.  Our experience modification is 0.48 and we have a workers compensation case manager in EHS on site.

   Some of the actions we have taken:

·         3 hour mandatory safe patient handling and lifting class for ALL clinical staff (techs, RN, PT, OT, radiology techs, CVT techs, etc).  Reviews how to utilize the lift team and how to use equipment.

·         Ceiling tracks in 60% of rooms..working on increasing.

·         We have purchased Floor lifts, mini lifts, sit to stands, hover mats, slip sheets, gait belts, gantry lifts for rehab, pediatric mobility chairs, butterfly slings, repositioning slings.

·         L.I.F.T. Experts in each clinical area…We have over 150 certified.

·         Created four Lift Team supervisor positions (promoted four techs) and these staff are responsible for staff training and troubleshooting.

·         Just started “mobility techs” in our neuro and trauma ICUs.  Patient care techs hired just to assist with patient turning of lighter pts that the lift team cannot get to.   They train two weeks with the lift team on using equipment and also train with PT.

·         Automated work station assessment/ergonomic assessment request on our portal with ability to collect aggregate data.

·         Post rehab training in our new fitness center after PT is completed.  Fitness Center is under mgt of Employee Health and staff is being trained in injury management.

·         Fitness Center staff go to department staff meetings or education days and provide training by request  on back injuries, knee injuries, plantar fasciitis, stretching, etc.

·         We just opened the center in May, so don’t have all the plans in place yet.  We hope to use the employee Fitness center to rehab our employees with injuries and offer programs for our aging population.

Anyway…it’s a work in progess.   We probably won’t consider spending the money on FCEs preplacement in the near future.

[TGH_employee health serv-color]
JoAnn Shea, ARNP, MS, COHN-S
Director, Employee Health and Wellness
P.O. Box 1289, Tampa, FL 33601  Mobile: 813-789-3441   Work: 813-844-7692  FAX: 813-844-8144