[MCOH-EH] Ebola

Abhijay Karandikar dr_abhik at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 24 09:04:14 PST 2014

All,
While I know that there is not currently a mandate, is it considered best practice to have Ebola related PPE (coveralls) meet certain standards (ASTM F1670, ASTM F1671)? In other words, if the PPE does not meet specific standards, would there be liability issues for the employer? For example, for outpatient settings, CDC recommendations are to go with an "impermeable" gown only, which as we all know is a vague requirement. On the same note, does anyone have suggestions as to which ones have worked the best for them (considering not only impermeability, but tensile strength, etc.)?
We are considering ordering PPE for "first responders" in our outpatient centers, not specifically for Ebola, but for storage and use for similar epidemics/pandemics, days, weeks or months down the line.
Thanks,Abhijay
Abhijay P. Karandikar, MD, MPHMedical Director - Occupational MedicineCompany MD - Pines Health Services