[MCOH-EH] Return to work evals for substance abuse

Sharon Petersen Sharon.Petersen at imail.org
Mon Jul 28 11:31:52 PDT 2014

See responses below-

Sharon Petersen, MHA, BSN, RN, COHN/CM
Director, Employee Health Operations
Intermountain Healthcare
801.442.2297 | sharon.petersen at imail.org

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 10:01:54 -0400
From: OWilliams at mcleodhealth.org
To: MCOH/EH <mcoh-eh at mylist.net>
Subject: Re: [MCOH-EH] Return to work evals for substance abuse

Do you require a RTW note from the substance abuse provider on details such as completed the program and random testing has been negative? Yes. People are returned to work with a signed contract stating they have completed whatever type of program the EAP counselor recommended and agree to monthly random testing. The length of time they are on a FFD program is determined case by case.

Do you perform drug and alcohol testing? Yes. We drug test post offer on all new hires, but do not perform alcohol testing on new hires. We also perform reasonable suspicion and fit-for duty (FFD) drug and alcohol testing following an EAP evaluation and recommendation.

Do you perform unannounced testing on that individual? Yes, all FFD testing is random and is coordinated through the Corporate Employee Health department. We call the person the morning they are to be tested and they must arrive at the collection site that day, as soon as their manager can arrange coverage for their position.

If you do testing is it only for those in safety sensitive positions? We test couriers and home care vehicle drivers that do not fall under the DOT drug and alcohol program. We do not randomly test other employees.

What kind of pushback do you get from your hospital leaders about violation of the ADA or FMLA when you perform testing? None.

We all know that current drug or alcohol use is not protected under the ADA; however, how is that defined at your institution? We do not consider either to be ADA-covered and people are considered for a Fitness for Duty program based on the EAP evaluation.

Octavia Williams-Blake, BA, JD
AVP, Occupational Health
McLeod Health
(843) 777-5355

Re: [MCOH-EH] Return to work evals for substance abuse Sent by:
"MCOH-EH" <mcoh-eh-bounces at mylist.net>

I would like to get input from many of you out there on how you handle return to work evaluations on employees who self disclose they went out of work for a drug and/or alcohol abuse. I am having robust discussions with our legal team about performing drug and alcohol tests upon return.

There is agreement about when an employee is found to be impaired at work, testing can be performed upon.

Do you require a RTW note from the substance abuse provider on details such as completed the program and random testing has been negative?
Do you perform drug and alcohol testing?
Do you perform unannounced testing on that individual?
If you do testing is it only for those in safety sensitive positions?
What kind of pushback do you get from your hospital leaders about violation of the ADA or FMLA when you perform testing?
We all know that current drug or alcohol use is not protected under the ADA; however, how is that defined at your institution?

Thanks,
Phil

Philip Adamo, M.D., MPH, FACOEM
Associate Vice President and
Medical Director, Employee Health &
Occupational Injury Care and Wellness
UMass Memorial Medical Center
Hahnemann Campus Suite 201
291 Lincoln Street
Worcester, MA 01605
Phone: 508-334-6179
FAX: 508-334-6433
cell 508-713-3993
philip.adamo at umassmemorial.org

"THE GREAT USE OF LIFE is to spend it for something that will outlast it."
William James

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, transmission, re-transmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.---------------------------------------
The MCOH-EH List is moderated by Joe Fanucchi MD FACOEM and Mike Band DO.
List membership is free, but only subscribers may post to the list.
email while you're on vacation, etc):   http://www.mcoh-eh.net
MediTrax / Occupational Health Systems, Inc. provides financial support to ensure the list remains a free resource for the occupational health community.

NOTICE: This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it may contain legally PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL information intended solely for the use of the addressee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading, dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and/or notify the postmaster (postmaster at mcleodhealth.org), and delete this message and all copies and backups thereof. Thank You.

Message: 2