[MCOH-EH] [Bulk] Re: Quantiferon gold TB test - preplacement question

Morelli, Karen J kmorelli at emhs.org
Wed Jul 30 11:53:14 PDT 2014

It is true that the the IGRA test and PPD are two separate methodologies.  And, yes, it is true that the Quantiferon is more specific.  However, in the light of the fact that there have been issues with false positive Quantiferon results after ppd placements, I don't see the harm in placing a PPD to gather more information.  We live in a low incidence Tb area as well and have been told that there are more incidents of false positive Quantiferon results in low TB incident regions.  The following excerpt is my correspondence with the CDC concerning this subject:

Thank you for your inquiry to CDC-INFO. We are sorry for the delay in responding to your e-mail. A recent high volume of inquiries has slowed our response time.  Your request for information on running quantiferon gold after tuberculin skin test was forwarded to subject-matter experts at the CDC Division of Tuberculosis Elimination (DTBE). We are pleased to provide you with their response.

There is no CDC guidance, or guidance from any other expert source, that IGRA should not be used after a tuberculin skin test at any specific point in time; however; it is our opinion that the theoretical timing of potential boosting bears consideration, but it does not constitute advice on whether or not to use IGRA methods or when to use them.

There is a little evidence that boosting of the QFT-GIT may take > 3 days after TST placement. Some investigators have reported evidence of boosting for as long as 6 months. We do not know how long boosting of IGRAs after a TST may last so have adopted the interval applied to clinical decisions for serial TSTs. We think that boosting of QFT-GIT after a TST may last up to 1 year.

The related paragraph in the IGRA guidelines reads as follows "Investigations examining the effect of PPD injection on subsequent IGRAs have produced conflicting results (59,62-66); outcome differences probably are attributable to differences in the study population (infected versus noninfected subjects, recent versus temporally remote infection, and risk for ongoing exposure), timing of IGRA testing after PPD injection, the IGRA format, and the definition of boosting used. PPD injection should be expected to boost anamnestic immune responses measured by IGRA originating from M. tuberculosis infection, but not from BCG vaccination or in nonsensitized persons. Additional studies examining the effect of PPD injection on IFN-? responses are needed to define the frequency, magnitude, induction time, and longevity of IGRA boosting following a TST."

Links to nonfederal organizations are provided as a service. Links are not an endorsement of these organizations or their programs by CDC or the federal government. CDC is not responsible for the content of organization websites found at these links.

Thank you for contacting CDC-INFO. For more information, please call 1-800-CDC-INFO (800-232-4636) or visit www.cdc.gov/info<http://www.cdc.gov/info>.

CDC-INFO is a service of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR). This service is provided by Verizon and its subcontractors under the Networx Universal contract to CDC.

Thank you,

LH

Karen