[MCOH-EH] Hazardous Drug Handling procedures

Epps, Nancy nepps at tgh.org
Fri May 16 09:22:10 PDT 2014

With the new proposed 2014 USP 800 “Hazardous Drugs—Handling in Healthcare Settings” guidelines, our facility is looking into changing our practices but want to survey what other facilities are practicing:

1.      What cleaners/deactivators are you utilizing to clean your pharmacy areas (BSC-biological safety cabinet & CACI-compounding aseptic containment isolator) and administration areas? Alcohol, general disinfectant, or sodium hypochlorite & sodium thiosulfate combination? We currently clean our administration areas with a standard disinfectant and the pharmacy BSC and CACI with alcohol and a standard disinfectant.

2.      What quality control process do you utilize (administration areas and pharmacy areas)?  Is anyone doing wipe studies as the USP 800 recommends every 6 months? If so, please share the lab you utilize, frequency of studies, approx. costs, how you determine severity of results, and what you do with your results. We currently utilize initial education and annual observation, but no wipe studies as the USP 800 recommends.

3.      What medical surveillance do you practice?  What labs do you draw, how do you interpret (do you have a control group to compare them to), and do you do a health/reproductive questionnaire? Our facility stopped the health and reproductive questionnaire years ago due to staff complaints of ‘invasion of privacy’. We currently offer CBC, Chemistry & Liver panel (not UA). We do not sample a control group to analyze/interpret the lab data we receive to track trends.

Nancy Epps CMSRN, BSN, OCN
Clinician, Employee Health Services
Tampa General Hospital
Phone (813) 844-8003
Email: nepps at tgh.org

Unless otherwise indicated or obvious from the nature of the transmittal, the information contained in this message is privileged and/or confidential information intended solely for the use of the addressee. The information contained herein is protected by Federal and State laws. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized distribution, copying, review or printing of such information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail and then delete the message and any attachments. Also notify Tampa General Hospital’s Security Officer at cso at tgh.org.