[MCOH-EH] Ebola infected HCW

Mark Catlin mark.catlin at seiu.org
Mon Oct 13 14:52:33 PDT 2014

Thanks Michael for starting this discussion.

With the Ebola  transmission to the nurse in Texas over the weekend, this
issue requires discussion from groups like this one.

While some of our hospital employers are stepping up and trying to figure
out the complex site specific procedures and policies to implement the CDC
guidance for Ebola (or better), other hospitals are doing nothing or next
to nothing to prepare.  Without these site specific plans, no amount of
training of front-line healthcare workers, no amount of care taken by
workers or wearing of PPE will be effective.

Many lesson have been learned that could be useful to consider from those
in the environmental field over the past 30 years regarding donning,
wearing and working in and doffing of contaminated PPE and equipment.

I look forward to sharing good ideas and solutions and learning lessons
from everyone.

Sincerely,

Mark Catlin

Health and Safety Director