[MCOH-EH] Ebola infected HCW

Borkowski, Michael Michael.Borkowski at froedtert.com
Tue Oct 14 10:38:09 PDT 2014

Dr. Band

Thanks for generating discussion and support for infected/injured healthcare workers.  Blaming the healthcare worker/victim by promulgating that a breach occurred in PPE use (without knowing or confirming it) has done nothing but enrage healthcare workers and their unions.  Understandably.

We, too, double glove.  Is that cause of this healthcare worker's infection? Perhaps.

"Are we missing something?" A respiratory component?  Asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic viral shedding?  Better direction from regulatory bodies?

We know that PPE is not 100% effective, so we need to work hard to ensure that we are not "...missing something."

Please continue to share best practices, articles and ideas.

Michael Borkowski, MD, MPH
Medical Director, F&MCW Occupational Health Services
Phone:  414-805-7997  | Fax:  414-805-7995
Cell Phone:  414-881-3762
E-mail: michael.borkowski at froedtert.com

Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin
Occupational Health Services
9200 West Wisconsin Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53226
froedtert.com