[MCOH-EH] Guidelines for Pregnant Healthcare Workers

Pless, Betsy S. bpless at armc.org
Tue Sep 2 12:50:01 PDT 2014

Hello

I am interested in hearing what type of policy your institution has
regarding pregnant healthcare workers and infectious disease risks,
chemical exposure hazards and physical hazards which may be of special
concern during pregnancy.

We already have policies r/t prenatal radiation exposure and handling of
antineoplastic agents-that is NOT the issue.

Our current policy basically says that with proper use of Standard
Precautions there is no need for additional precautions for a pregnant
healthcare worker to prevent transmission of disease.

I am getting push back from some directors who want it spelled out more
clearly that it is OK for  pregnant employees to  provide care to
patients with various Dx including VRE, CMV, and other MRDOs.  I think
they are getting pregnant employees who are refusing assignments d/t
pregnancy.

All of our employees must show immunity to Varicella, Measles, Mumps and
Rubella before starting.

Thanks much

Betsy

Betsy Pless, PhD, FNP-C, COHN-S