[MCOH-EH] Hepatitis B and titers

JimGarb jimgarb at comcast.net
Wed Sep 24 06:28:13 PDT 2014

Phil - I have always tried to get documentation of a positive anti-HBS done
following a standard 3 dose Hep B vaccination series that was given in the
past, no matter how many years ago.  If we could get that documentation,
then no anti-HBS testing is done.  And with most hospitals on board with
doing anti-HBS testing 1 to 2 months following the third dose of the series
for some time now, that documentation is often available.  If no prior
response to the vaccine can be documented, then your approach sounds
reasonable given that the vaccine is probably the safest that has ever come
down the pike.  Although we in the past have done the testing before giving
the booster dose.  The balance between getting a booster and a blood test vs
getting a blood test with the chance of avoiding a booster and second blood
test will strike different people differently.

Jim

James Garb, MD FACOEM

Medical Director Occupational Health

Cape Cod Healthcare