[MCOH-EH] Urine drug testing

Hanson, ShaRonne (HAL) SHanson at HollandAmerica.com
Sat Jan 31 22:48:12 PST 2015

We have used multiple types of point of care testing - the logistics of administration are somewhat complex, and the MRO participation must be very active.  The biggest problem however is the total number of false positives, and cross reactivities that were observed in the different types of testing, including heavy smoking, cholesterol lowering medications, anti-depressants,etc.  The total number of individuals who were literally traumatized by the issue of the POC positive, which was subsequently found to be negative - it was abandoned.  WE do some 15,000 tests a year, so we do a lot of tests - and the number of true positive tests in the confirmatory process was 1 out of hundreds of false positives.

__________
ShaRonne Hanson
Manager Fleet Crew Medical Services
Holland America Line and Seabourn
PHONE: 206-286-3932
FAX:       206-301-5551
EMAIL:shanson at HollandAmerica.com     www.hollandamerica.com
EMAIL: shanson at seabourn.com<mailto:shanson at seabourn.com>   www.Seabourn.com

From: MCOH-EH [mailto:mcoh-eh-bounces at mylist.net] On Behalf Of Marenick,Cheryl
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 5:29 AM
To: 'MCOH/EH'
Subject: Re: [MCOH-EH] Urine drug testing

Same topic

From: MCOH-EH [mailto:mcoh-eh-bounces+cmarenick=uchc.edu at mylist.net] On Behalf Of Angelique Ramirez
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 3:23 PM
To: mcoh-eh at mylist.net<mailto:mcoh-eh at mylist.net>
Subject: [MCOH-EH] Urine drug testing

We currently use rapid urine drug testing screen for pre-placement with confirmatory send out testing on the non-negatives.  We've been asked to implement a similar process for drug testing done for probable cause testing (reasonable suspicion).  Those tested for probable cause are sent home on an administrative suspension pending results - the desire is to clear them same day to minimize disruption to staffing.  Of note, our police department has been recommending testing as part of investigation of narcotic discrepancies which is the majority of our probable cause cases. Occupational Health does them during the day and we have a contract with a vendor for after hour testing - our current vendor does not offer point of care testing only collection and send out.

Does anyone else use point of care testing for probable cause or drug diversion investigation testing?  Any concerns for consideration - I'm aware of lack of a rapid test for Fentanyl - any other concerns?

Thanks!

Angelique Ramirez, MD
Medical Director
Parkland Occupational Health Services
Office of Talent Management
214-590-4842 - office
angelique.ramirez at phhs.org<mailto:angelique.ramirez at phhs.org>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If you are the intended recipient, further disclosures are prohibited without proper authorization. If you are not the intended recipient or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, the use, dissemination or reproduction of this communication is prohibited and may be a violation of federal or state law and regulations. If you have received this communication in error, please destroy all copies of the message and its attachments and notify the sender immediately. The Dallas County Hospital District and its affiliated entities hereby claim all applicable privileges related to this information.