[MCOH-EH] Offsite Employee Health

Shea, Joann jshea at tgh.org
Fri Feb 13 04:49:29 PST 2015

We have been in the main hospital for over 20 years, but due to need to increase patient rooms we are moving to a building across the street in the next 18 months.    It is still on main campus property, but a 5 min trek.  We will be located directly above the Employee fitness center which is a part of the Employee Health division.  We are also building a primary care clinic  in the building ...just for employees and covered spouses/DP to manage chronic diseases.  This will be run by our ambulatory clinic administrators and we will collaborate with them on our disease mgt programs.

We will need to change the way we do business as every employee must report to us annually, prior to their evaluation, for a health screen which consist of TB testing, fit testing, review of health questionnaire and vaccinations, wellness biometrics for insurance discount (BP, A1C, cholesterol profile, waist measurement, BMI) and cotinine testing.   We are going to have to expand our hours to allow persons working 12 hour shifts to make appointments before and after work or stop the annual health screens all together and bring the TB testing and fit testing to the units and offer biometrics by appointment.  I prefer to keep the required annual health screens as we have 100% compliance as the employees cannot receive their raise without it.  In addition, over 95% of our covered employees complete their wellness biometrics and we have had a lot of success in improving the health of our employees through the Know Your Numbers program and health counseling.

We also require work clearances for those out 3 days or more.  We will have to work on doing a lot of these on the phone as many employees come in just prior to their shift.

We also run an acute care clinic for minor personal illness and injury.  We will continue with this clinic or may transfer some to the new primary care clinic if they hire an ARNP just to see acute care.  All employees can receive free acute care, whether they have insurance or not.

We will have to shuttle injured employees who cannot walk over to us and deal with fitness for duty/drug issues also.

I would also like to hear how others who are located off site have structured their programs to make it work and not be an inconvenience to the employees and management.  Thank you.

[TGH_employee health serv-color]
JoAnn Shea, ARNP, MS, COHN-S
Director, Employee Health and Wellness
P.O. Box 1289, Tampa, FL 33601  Mobile: 813-789-3441   Work: 813-844-7692  FAX: 813-844-8144