[MCOH-EH] Physician BBF Exposures

Dr Amber H Mitchell amber.mitchell at internationalsafetycenter.org
Thu Mar 26 14:10:51 PDT 2015

Hi All,

Hope this finds you well.  I just pulled the last 10 years of our EPINet data on sharps injuries and blood and body fluid (BBF) exposures and we're seeing 25% rates occurring with physicians for sharps injuries (compared to all other job descriptions/professions) and 11.2% for BBF exposures.  This is likely a severe under-estimate as many physicians are not hospital employees and their incidents are therefore not being collected by hospital employee health.  Given a great deal of focus on nurses with these types of exposures, I don't want the MD community to forget that they too need programs and protections in place to prevent their exposures.

Have others out there seen similar comparison incidents/exposures?

Does anyone out there have a great contact within the medical professional association community (AMA, ACOEM, ACS, etc.) to contact?

Thank you!  Happy almost weekend.

Amber

Amber Hogan Mitchell, DrPH, MPH, CPH
President | Executive Director