[MCOH-EH] fit for duty

Hudson, T. Warner TWHudson at mednet.ucla.edu
Fri May 8 15:07:13 PDT 2015

The NIOSH lifting equation http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/94-110/ which OSHA and state OSHAs use; has 50 pounds as the starting point maximum for a safe lift and then has multiplier factors which are all reducing from this number; frequency of lift, distance away from the midline of the live from and to heights, asymmetric lift and whether there are handles.   Suzanne Rodgers; PhD advised California OSHA in the creation of an ergonomic lifting guide a few years ago and told me in a real world setting I had hired her to consult on over a several year period, that 35 lbs, was reasonable target maximum lift.  Ou can certainly take measurements and plug them into the lifting equation and I suspect will find results in the 19, 25, lb range on many occasions, You are supposed to have team lifts or assistive devices if lifts are above NIOSH's calculated number.

Push pull force measurement is often done using more expensive devices; around $2k for good ones and like Melanie says; you can get by using simple think like a fish scale hook attached to a belt to measure the foot pounds or Newtons you need.

T. Warner Hudson, MD FACOEM, FAAFP
Medical Director, Occupational and Employee Health
UCLA Health System and Campus
Office 310.825.9146
Fax 310.206.4585
Pager 800.233.7231  ID 27132