[MCOH-EH] Chemo Medical Surveillance

Hodgson, Michael - OSHA Hodgson.Michael at dol.gov
Wed May 20 09:59:19 PDT 2015

Hi, all, OSHA is interested in that letter, too, as we are trying to consider / updating our web work.  Melanie and Mark, would you send that to OSHA, too?

1.       It would be really interesting to know whether anyone does "surveillance" , i.e., whether you collect a CBC, whether you collect anything more, whether you collect information on reproductive efforts or outcomes, and whether you ever collect biological monitoring samples, for example after spills and other unexpected exposures (like ventilation system failures in pharmacies)

2.       Do people formally acknowledge and follow Oncology Nursing Society procedures?  Are those acknowledged and supported by your pharmacy and nursing leadership?

3.       Do people have a formal policy on managing workers of reproductive age who are considering / planning active reproduction?  Would this group be willing to answer whether

a.       You offer people a chance to transfer to a job without exposure? (men too?)

b.      Let people transfer out of an exposed job once they are pregnant?

c.        Mandate that people transfer out of an exposed job once pregnancy is known?

4.       Does anyone do formal exposure assessment, i.e., wipe samples outside of pharmacy cabinets?

Exposed here means simply working with cytotoxic agents...

Michael Hodgson, MD
OSHA Office of Occupational Medicine and Nursing