[MCOH-EH] Respiratory fit test

Hudson, T. Warner TWHudson at mednet.ucla.edu
Thu Jun 18 07:11:15 PDT 2015

In addition to offering the PAPR option; we try to talk people into shaving since the PAPRs are not always readily available or easy to get on the floors, don, doff and use in busy places like the ED.  Yesterday we onboarded a large group of new UCLA House Staff; many of whom arrive with varieties of facial hair. We are working to bolster the letters that go out in advance encouraging them to shave before onboarding as the fit testing is done doing these large onboarding events and they cannot be fit tested with facial hair except a small moustache or goatee; something that does not touch the N 95 seal areas.  Yesterday many ran and got shaving cream and razors and shaved in time.  I personally spoke with a group of ED residents to explain how common active TB, measles, pertussis, chickenpox, etc. is in the populations seen her and they all quickly decided to change their minds and shave right away so  we probably had 25 who shaved and 4 who opted for PAPRs yesterday, mostly psych residents. I do recall an OSHA letter years ago stating safety in their view trumped religious objections in the realm of respirators; don't have it handy but surely someone does.

Warner

T. Warner Hudson, MD FACOEM, FAAFP
Medical Director, Occupational and Employee Health
UCLA Health System and Campus
Office 310.825.9146
Fax 310.206.4585
Pager 800.233.7231  ID 27132