[MCOH-EH] MCOH-EH Digest, Vol 250, Respiratory protection question

Harriman, Kathleen (CDPH-CID-DCDC-IMM) Kathleen.Harriman at cdph.ca.gov
Tue Jun 30 12:13:10 PDT 2015

I have a philosophical question for the group. Maybe I'm wrong, but it appears that infection control "owns" the issue of respiratory protection for healthcare personnel.  However, it seems like this issue should be owned at least jointly by occupational health since it involves worker safety.  Many in the infection control community still do not seem to understand the differences between surgical masks and respirators.  I'm curious as to what this group thinks.

Kathleen Harriman, PhD, MPH, RN
California Department of Public Health
Richmond, CA