[MCOH-EH] N-95 respirator fitting and those with beards

Cindy Hansen Chansen at mhg.com
Fri Sep 25 06:11:17 PDT 2015

I would like to query the group on what you do at your organizations for those staff with beards unable to be fit tested for an N-95.  We have PAPR's but typically not used in the past for airborne isolation.  Would like to see any policy or written protocols on how you handle these folks.  Obviously Beards trending most recently and now we go into the winter months even more prevalent….even here in the south.  Our roundtable discussion mentioned HR implications, practice, job descriptions, shaving on site if assigned an airborne isolation patient.   Also, do your policies have variability/flexibility in respect to the depts?  For example, our IP rehab unit does not have a negative pressure room and would not be sent anyone still on active isolation so we will likely exclude this folks from even being tested.  Appreciate any responses….my email Chansen at mhg.com<mailto:Chansen at mhg.com>.

Thank you.

Cindy Hansen, RN, MSN, CCM, CSIWCP
Employee Health Manager
Ph:  228-867-4174
Fax:  228-867-4080

[http://www.gulfportmemorial.com/images/14MH81-BESTE_SIG-RANKED-A-BESTD2.GIF]
http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/ms
This email may contain information covered under the Mississippi Privacy Law (Miss. Code Ann. § 75-24-29), the Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. § 552a) and/or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (Pub. L. No. 104-191) and its accompanying regulations. Healthcare information is personal and sensitive and must be protected in accordance with these provisions. If this email contains healthcare information, it is being disclosed to you only after appropriate authorization from the patient or under circumstances that do not require patient authorization. You, the recipient, are obligated to maintain it in a safe, secure and confidential manner. Re-disclosure without additional patient authorization, unless otherwise permitted by law, is prohibited.

**********PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL**********

If you are not the intended recipient of this email, be advised that any use, disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the contents of the information contained therein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender immediately by reply email and then destroy/delete all copies of the original message and any attachment(s) thereto.