[MCOH-EH] ACOEM elections

Buchta, William G., M.D. Buchta.William at mayo.edu
Fri Oct 23 14:08:28 PDT 2015

Dear ACOEM colleagues on the MCOH list,
I am appealing to you to take an active role and exercise your right to vote since the on-line polls open today.  Historically only 15% to 20% of eligible members vote, which I believe is unfortunate; we can change that.  Having been a past chair of the MCOH section and a current member of the section executive committee, I am inclined seek the support of other MCOH members.  I have not requested a formal endorsement from current MCOH leadership.

I do not enter the election lightly, having chosen not to run for a second elected term on the Board of Directors in 2013 to allow some fresh perspectives on the Board but also to allow myself time to evaluate whether I was up to the challenge of ACOEM leadership.   I looked back on my ACOEM experience to date and spoke with recent ACOEM presidents.   I realized I missed the interaction, so I am asking for your support.

So far, I have three particular issues that I hope to pursue:

  1.   Creative ways to maintain an influx of qualified occupational physicians
  2.   Diversity in ACOEM membership and leadership
  3.  The ramifications for corporate medicine when the ACA's dreaded "Cadillac Tax" goes into effect in 2018, which is the year I would start my presidency, if you all so decide.
I look forward to input from any of you and would be looking for colleagues to serve on appropriate task forces and committees.

I know all of the candidates for Director and Secretary, at least 2 of whom are MCOH section members, and it is as strong a slate as we have had in a long time; please support the candidates of your choice.

Best regards,

Bill

William G. Buchta, MD, MS, MPH
Assistant Professor, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
Mayo Clinic, Division of Preventive, Occupational, and Aerospace Medicine
200 First St,SW,Rochester, MN 55905
Phone: 507-266-0354 Fax: 507-284-4251
Mayo Clinic, a mission-driven worldwide leader in health care for 150 years
http://150years.mayoclinic.org