[MCOH-EH] Functional Capacity Evaluations

Quin Bond quin at biokineticsllc.com
Tue Oct 27 14:08:04 PDT 2015

Dr. Leibu-

We've had several entities have success with modified FCEs as the basis
for their post-offer process with physically demanding jobs.  In our
experience, the more significant issue for success of this process comes
down to several things.

First and foremost, is a customized job description based on accurate
field based measurements.  Often, employers don't have solid, detailed job
descriptions that are inclusive of required strength and postures to
perform the essential tasks or the frequency of task performance.  Most
employers are surprised to find out the physical demands related to the
essential tasks (often, we hear "I didn't know it was that heavy") and
often, this leads to changes in how the task is performed.

Secondly, the clearly defined physical and postural demands from the
customized job description should be explained to the new hire candidates
through out the hiring process.  This should begin with job posting and
reiterated at each meeting with the candidates.  A significant portion of
the success that our best clients have is due to this aspect.  Their new
hires come in with a solid understanding of what will be expected of them
from a physical standpoint.

Third, a solid post-offer test based on the essential postural and
physical demands.  The actual mechanism for the test (aside from being
based on the essential demands) can be modified based on needs of the
client (number of new hires, longevity of employees, etc.)

Fourth, good training of new hires in proper body mechanics for performing
job related tasks. Even when a new hire has the physical ability that is
required, they need to have good mechanics.  With the reduction of
physical education classes in the schools, many people have bad technique
when performing strength related tasks.   This training should be ongoing
and supervisors should be performing spotchecks to help maintain good
mechanics between training sessions.

While I know we provide an excellent testing service, I believe that a
significant amount of success for our clients is also attributable to
clearly defining the demands to new hires and providing solid training to
those that pass the post-offer test.

Quin

--------

Quin Bond