[MCOH-EH] Required Vaccines for Employees

Swift, Melanie melanie.swift at Vanderbilt.Edu
Tue Nov 3 06:47:51 PST 2015

Hi Nicole,
We follow CDC recommendations to vaccinate rather than screen for MMR. We'll accept antibody tests for measles, mumps, rubella in lieu of vaccine, but if the employee does not have record of either we provide vaccine rather than lab screening.

New employees:
TB: 2-step TB testing - 2 tests within a year of hire, one of which is within 3 months, OR if previous positive test, a CXR within 6 months of hire.
Measles (only required if born in 1957 or later): 2 measles-containing vaccines or lab proof of immunity
Mumps (only required if born in 1957 or later): 1 mumps-containing vaccine or lab proof of immunity
Rubella: 1 rubella-containing vaccine or lab proof of immunity
Varicella: lab proof of immunity, or 2 doses of varicella-containing vaccine (we do NOT accept history of disease)
Hepatitis B (Applies only to employees with occupational exposure to human blood/body fluids): 3 doses of hepatitis B vaccine, or positive surface or core Ab, or signed declination statement
Tdap: offered but not required
Influenza: current season's vaccine required if hired between 12/1 and 3/31.

Current employees:
TB: Annual TB skin test, if sharing airspace with patients and previously negative
Influenza: Current season's vaccine, by 12/1 each season

Melanie Swift, MD
Director, Vanderbilt Occupational Health Clinic
http://occupationalhealth.vanderbilt.edu