[MCOH-EH] For-Cause Invalid Result

Linda Clark, MD lclark at doctorclark.org
Fri Jan 15 10:05:23 PST 2016

I need an opinion from the list.

I had a non-DOT for-cause drug test that came back invalid - interfering substance.  However, they also reported it was positive for amphetamines. I'd never had an invalid specimen also report (officially) an identified substance.

MRO interview - the guy was on antibiotics (doesn't know which one) at the time of the collection and was prescribed Adderall.  I was thinking of repeating the test under observation.  He tells me that the original collection was done observed - this is the company's protocol.  It was indicated on the CCD, and I confirmed that it was the case (done standardly for for-cause tests). I verified the amphetamine prescription as being valid.

Am I all done? Can I report this if the test was invalid?  I want to report as negative and be finished. I'm not sure what I would gain by repeat under observation unless I wait until antibiotics are out of his system (just finished yesterday).  Especially since this was for suspicion. The time has passed.

Opinion? Thanks.

Linda L. Clark, MD, MS
Occupational and Preventive Medicine
(585) 227-0072 P