[MCOH-EH] Employees with body odor

Leibu, Rachel Rachel.Leibu at atlantichealth.org
Tue Feb 23 08:01:46 PST 2016

There are certain metabolic medical conditions which can cause this problem.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 23, 2016, at 10:50 AM, "Senior, Cathy (Employee Health)" <CESenior at phhealthcare.org<mailto:CESenior at phhealthcare.org>> wrote:

We did have a similar situation in our Health Information Mgmt dept where there were many complaints. Employee Health always speaks to the employee in private to inquire about medical and personal situations. This employee had both. We did follow her closely to ensure that she did act on the physical issues however odor still persisted. She had numerous medical conditions and non of the odor was due to hygiene.  She lived in a basement apartment and her clothes at times would smell very musty so once that was taken care of by her landlord then we worked on accommodation related to her medical conditions. Since she shared an office with two other workers we purchased ionic air filters for use in that office which  worked for a while. We could not use any type of air fresheners as the employee was allergic to most things. In the end we finally found her an office of her own which ended the two years of trying different accommodations. I never disclosed any of her medical conditions just informed HR that we needed to accommodate. Hope this helps

Cathy Senior RN BSN CDE
Employee Health Director
Penn Highlands DuBois
100 Hospital Avenue