[MCOH-EH] Blood Borne pathogen seroconversion

Amy Olson aolson2511 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 04:25:13 PST 2016

Hello Colleagues,
I am working in Qatar and am refining our procedure on employee exposure to
communicable disease. In this country, if one tests positive for HIV, even
in a work-related situation, their resident permit is revoked and they will
have to leave the country.

In the unlikely event that this would occur at our facility, I would like
to have something reflecting appropriate compensation. What I am looking
for is resources that would help describe what this looks like in the US. I
know that the detail will vary state by state, but I'm thinking there is a
broad brush answer that can help guide further discussion.

To be sure I am asking the question correctly, I would use the following
example:
John or Jane has an exposure incident in the OR and they follow the
appropriate protocol per CDC guidelines. The employee is negative at
baseline and at the 6 week check comes back positive for HIV. The person is
not disabled in anyway today, but they can no longer be in country. I need
some guideline that would help us establish some framework for
compensation. How is this generally approached in the US? The worker at the
time of injury is healthy and can be that way for a very long time.

The work injury rules here are very much targeted to laborers. There is no
communicable disease on the worker injury/illness fee schedule.

If this were to happen to our employee, they would have to leave within 7
days of notification and return to their home country with no job and an
HIV infection.

Thank you,
Amelia Olson, BSN, MS, COHN-S
Director, Occupational Health