[MCOH-EH] Annual health evals for hospital employees

Sampson, Deborah Deborah.Sampson at snhhs.org
Thu Mar 24 15:05:07 PDT 2016

We only do annual eval of employees positive for TB (symptom questionnaire), chemo exposure (labs and questionnaire), and respiratory fit test for those who need it.  We also do random UDS on select high risk department personnel on an ongoing basis.

There is little to support such annual screenings in any literature that I have seen, although I do share your concerns about our aging employee population.

It is important, however, to avoid actions that could be considered age discrimination and you would also need to have job descriptions and policy/procedures in place that back up the testing/screening activities.

Before thinking about what tests should be done, it is perhaps important to think deeply about whether this process is the best course of action in the first place and how would it be operationalized in an appropriate way.

You would have to be very clear, specific, and on what you plan to do with the information in a screening beyond a 'Dear Doctor" letter. For example, if you find something that is potentially a problem in the workplace, do you restrict the worker? If so, how long and what criteria do you use for return to work? If you find something and don't restrict the worker, how will that influence any subsequent quality of care, patient safety and patient liability concerns?

Can your decision one way or the other both in process and in outcome hold up in court and will you apply the same process/criteria for everyone in a safety sensitive positions? How will you define a safety sensitive position? Will you also test physicians who are employees? How will this type of process effect your employee relations?

I do share your concerns as I also move into the 'aging employee' population. But I think annual screening could be a very slippery slope.

Deborah A. Sampson, PhD, APRN, COHN-S, FAANP
Director
Employee Health and Wellness Services
Southern New Hampshire Health   P.O.Box 2014   8 Prospect Street   Nashua, NH 03060
p(603) 281-8583  f (603) 577-5665
deborah.sampson at snhhealth.org<mailto:deborah.sampson at snhhealth.org>