[MCOH-EH] IGRA

Swift, Melanie melanie.swift at Vanderbilt.Edu
Mon Apr 25 10:04:31 PDT 2016

The CDC reference I mentioned is in this document: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/rr/rr5905.pdf
See "Situations in Which Testing with Both an IGRA and a TST May Be Considered" on page 11, 2nd and 3rd bullets.

Melanie Swift, MD
Director, Vanderbilt Occupational Health Clinic
http://occupationalhealth.vanderbilt.edu

From: MCOH-EH [mailto:mcoh-eh-bounces at mylist.net] On Behalf Of Swift, Melanie
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2016 11:58 AM
To: MCOH/EH
Subject: Re: [MCOH-EH] IGRA

Cathy,
By your use of the term "borderline" I'm guessing you use T-Spot. But in case you were using it in a more generic sense, there is a good article by Wendy Thanassi et al delineating a retesting zone for QFT-GIT using the 0.35 - 1.11 IU/ml results. Wendy spoke at our AOHC a couple of weeks ago and shared a helpful algorithm using 1.1 as the cutoff for the first test and 0.7 as the cutoff for the retest. Again, that probably won't help you much if you are using T-spot.

The CDC lists this situation as a time when you might want to do both a TST and an IGRA. If the TST is negative and the person is low risk and the IGRA remains borderline, it's less like to be an LTBI case than if the TST is positive also.

You really should sit down with your medical director and develop a protocol based on the quantitative result, and the specific IGRA you use (T-Spot or QTF-GIT.) Hopefully he or she participates on this listserve also!

Here are some references that may be helpful in writing your protocol:

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/pm/2012/291294/
https://labmed.oxfordjournals.org/content/45/3/207
http://www.atsjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1164/rccm.201305-0831OC