[MCOH-EH] Work exclusion for HCW w/ orofacial herpes lesions

Angeli Mancuso a1mancus at sbch.org
Tue May 3 14:18:30 PDT 2016

I am revising our policy regarding employees with or exposed to communicable disesase and a question has come up regarding work exclusion for orofacial herpes lesions. Currently, our exclusions are written as such:

1)      Herpes: Restrict from care of high risk patients until lesions heal

2)      Varicella: Restrict from care of high risk patients until all lesions dry and crust

To me, heal does not equal dry and crust. The medical director of infection control says they are the same; the medical director of employee health says they are different. And I am stuck in the middle trying to manage a policy that creates controversy and no one agrees on.

How are others managing these definitions?

I appreciate your help.

Be well,
Angeli

Angeli Mancuso, RN, COHN-S/CM
Employee Health & Safety Manager
Ph: 805.569.7866/Internal Ext. 57866
Fax: 805.569.8271
a1mancus at sbch.org<mailto:a1mancus at sbch.org>
www.cottagehealthsystem.org<http://www.cottagehealthsystem.org/>

CH Disclaimer: This electronic mail message is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This message, together with any attachment, may contain confidential and privileged information. Any views, opinions or conclusions expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cottage Health, its subsidiaries or affiliates. This document may also contain information covered under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA, PL 104-191) and implementing regulations and must be protected in accordance with those provisions. Re-disclosure without patient consent or as otherwise permitted by law is prohibited. Any unauthorized review, retransmission, use, printing, copying, retention, disclosure, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email message to the sender and delete all copies of this message from your system without copying.