[MCOH-EH] Safety devices for shorter insulin needles?

Swift, Melanie melanie.swift at Vanderbilt.Edu
Thu May 5 11:05:52 PDT 2016

Amber, to clarify, in this database, is all "during use" activation of the safety? We use "during use" when the person is actually giving the injection and sticks themselves because the patient moved, for instance. We track "while activating safety device" separately and find it's a much lower number.

Melanie Swift, MD
Director, Vanderbilt Occupational Health Clinic
http://occupationalhealth.vanderbilt.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: MCOH-EH [mailto:mcoh-eh-bounces at mylist.net] On Behalf Of Dr Amber H Mitchell
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2016 12:50 PM
To: MCOH/EH
Subject: Re: [MCOH-EH] Safety devices for shorter insulin needles?

If it helps the group, we did some advanced data extraction from our EPINet aggregate of hospitals (2010-2014).

This data is from sharps injuries that were reported to employee health from ONLY safety devices used ONLY during injection and ONLY among nurses.
 I have blood collection device data too, if anyone feels it would be useful send me an email.

11. Did the injury occur?

	1 Before use of item							4				0.7%
	2 During use of item							232				41.4%
	3 Between steps of a multi-step procedure			13				2.3%
	4 Disassembling device or equipment				15				2.7%
	5 In preparation for reuse of reusable instruments	1				0.2%
	6 While recapping a used needle					31				5.5%
	7 Withdrawing a needle from rubber or other resistance	4			0.7%
	8 Other after use, before disposal					159				28.4%
	10 While putting the item into the disposal container	21			3.8%
	11 After disposal, stuck by item protruding from disposal
container		4		0.7%
	13 After disposal, item protruding from trash bag or inapp
container		2		0.4%
	14 Other, describe								66				11.8%
	15 Restraining patient							1				0.2%
	16 Device left on floor, table, bed or other inappropriate place	7	1.3%
Total records:	560

And this is when they are occurring during the use of safety syringes.

1  Before activation			241			48.0%
	2  During activation			208			41.4%
	3  After activation				52			10.4%
	4  Unknown					1			0.2%

You¹ll note that more than 40% of injuries occur during activation of the safety feature.  Again, this is skin injection only and the use of safety devices only.

Amber

Amber Hogan Mitchell, DrPH, MPH, CPH
President | Executive Director
International Safety Center
Email: amber.mitchell at internationalsafetycenter.org

On 5/5/16, 11:14 AM, "Sampson, Deborah" <Deborah.Sampson at snhhs.org> wrote:

>Haven't seen that. What I am identifying is that most sticks in the
>last
>6 months were due to inattention during clean up, during disposal or
>safety activation such as speaking with the patient, family, or a
>colleague.
>We are considering suggesting a " Watch that needle" campaign.
>Deb
>Deborah A. Sampson, PhD, APRN, COHN-S, FAANP Director Employee Health
>and Wellness Services
>Southern New Hampshire Health   P.O.Box 2014   8 Prospect Street
>Nashua, NH 03060
>p(603) 281-8583  f (603) 577-5665
>deborah.sampson at snhhealth.org

The MCOH-EH List is moderated by Joe Fanucchi MD FACOEM and Mike Band DO.
List membership is free, but only subscribers may post to the list.
To post send messages to: mcoh-eh at mylist.net