[MCOH-EH] Policy on Use of Medical Marijuana

Philip Adamo philipad1 at gmail.com
Thu May 26 07:24:22 PDT 2016

Hello Dr Balogun

There is a great book written by Gregory Smith, M.D., MPH called Medical Canabis. It gives a scientific perspective on medical marijuana. I used this book as I guided our institution to allow individuals on medical marijuana to work. I created a task force which consisted of our quality leaders, nursing leadership, legal, risk management as well as a physician who recommends medical marijuana. This task force was created at the request of our CEO.
The decision was to allow those on medical marijuana to work at our hospital system and to make sure managers have the proper
training to recognize impairment. We all know that impairment  can be a result of prescribed opiates—the bigger problem.

We cannot get away from this issue and the hope is that more research will find marijuana beneficial with treatment of some illnesses.

Phil Adamo, M.D., MPH
Baystate Health
Springfield, MA