[MCOH-EH] HCWs with HIV/HBV/HCV

Weaver Meredith weaverm at wvumedicine.org
Tue Jun 7 05:39:22 PDT 2016

Questions for the group.....

The SHEA (Society for Healthcare Epidemiology) Guidelines provide recommendations on management of healthcare workers who are affected with Hepatitis B Virus, Hepatitis C Virus, and/or Human Immunodeficiency Virus.  As with many infection control efforts, safety for our patients and employees are a top priority. We are evaluating our current policy and practices for managing employees infected with bloodborne pathogens to ensure patient safety and maintain employee confidentiality.

Please respond to the following questions to help us better understand the degree of management involvement that your institution has in monitoring and evaluating the work related duties of providers who are infected.

1.       What type of policies, procedures, or administrative management does your organization have in place regarding employee and/or faculty reporting of carrying of the Hep B, Hep C or Human Immunodeficiency viruses?

2.       Do you require self-reporting if a provider is aware they are infected with a bloodborne pathogen?  If so, how is this done and to how often is this completed (i.e. annual attestation?)

3.    Do you have an Expert Review Panel in place to assist in managing providers infected with bloodborne pathogen?  What level of authority/role does the committee have and who comprises the committee?

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

 / Meredith R. Weaver
Employee Health Coordinator
WVU Medicine