[MCOH-EH] Blood Exposure Safety Video

Dr Amber H Mitchell amber.mitchell at internationalsafetycenter.org
Sat Aug 27 10:50:14 PDT 2016

This video is too good not to share with you all.  Excellent job by Stanford Health Care!  3 minute video: https://youtu.be/mpm_7pNn5GM

Their blood exposure numbers are right on target with our EPINet data.  Since CDC doesn't collect information on sharps injuries, I'm not sure how accurate that data is, but who cares.

We just released 2014 EPINet data, here are the links if you'd find them useful.

Sharp Object Injury: http://internationalsafetycenter.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Official-2014-NeedleSummary.pdf
Blood and Body Fluid Exposures: http://internationalsafetycenter.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Official-2014-BBFSummary.pdf

In line with Stanford, same for our aggregate:
#1 injury is with disposable syringe with 64% not activating a safety feature
25.6% injuries still occurring to the non-user (downstream)
#1 injury from blood collection is still injecting blood sample into a vacuum tube with a disposable syringe.  Eeks!
#1 blood splash exposure is to unprotected eyes, only 3.5% wearing eye protection during eye exposure

Thanks to Deb Novak from NIOSH for sharing the great video.

Amber Hogan Mitchell, DrPH, MPH, CPH
President | Executive Director

[ISC_Logo_FullName_Hrz_Color small]

Safer Workers | Better HealthcareTM