[MCOH-EH] Hospital Drug Diversion Programs

Shea, Joann jshea at tgh.org
Tue Aug 30 06:12:32 PDT 2016

See below

[TGH_employee health serv-color]
JoAnn Shea, ARNP, MS, COHN-S
Director, Employee Health & Wellness
Work: 813-844-7692    Cell:  813-789-3441    FAX;  813-844-8144    Email:  jshea at tgh.org

From: MCOH-EH [mailto:mcoh-eh-bounces at mylist.net] On Behalf Of Sumeet Batra
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2016 4:54 PM
To: mcoh-eh at mylist.net
Subject: [MCOH-EH] Hospital Drug Diversion Programs

Hello all,

Higher-ups at my hospital are considering randomized drug testing in high risk departments (anesthesia, pharmacy, ED, ICU) to deter drug diversion.  There is particular interest in using a larger panel to catch drugs commonly used in these departments, such as fentanyl.  I am not sure if there is evidence to justify the cost and time involved with testing these employees but I wanted to see what members of the group are doing.
I would especially like to know:

A)     If your program is doing random tests or only for-cause testing   We do preplacement testing, for cause and random for persons in our recovery programs

B)      What panel you're using  5 panel for preplacement,  Healthcare Professional panel for cause (includes fentanyl, illicit drugs, and all classes of controlled drugs by specific drugs and levels).    We collect in EHS and sent to Clinical Reference lab.

C)       If you're doing testing in-house or at an outside facility (or a mix) Collect in house and send out to CRL for testing.  Blood alcohol tested in house for cause

D)      Any results or evidence from the medical literature that you may have.

Thanks in advance,
Sumeet Batra, MD, MPH

Medical Director, Occupational Health Services
Cook Children's Health Care System
Phone: (682) 885-1129
Fax: (682) 885-6717