[MCOH-EH] Heating Cooling Unit

Senior, Cathy (Employee Health) CESenior at phhealthcare.org
Tue Nov 1 08:04:28 PDT 2016

There has been a recall on certain heater-cooler devices used during cardiothoracic surgery. We unfortunately had one of these units in service. According to recent studies there is a potential for bacteria contaminated watered housed in the device to aerosol and contaminate the operating room environment and the patient during open heart surgery. We are in the process of making sure our patients are free of infection by following them closely however I was wondering if anyone using these devices has done anything with as far as contamination of the employees working in the OR. When we research this topic on the CDC webinar it showed
"Low Virulence, opportunistic pathogens

-          Chronic lung infection, mostly among those with underlying lung disease (bronchiectasis, COPD)

-          Disseminated disease described with extreme immune compromise"

FDA Communication October 15, 2015
"The FDA is not aware of NTM infections acquired by hospital staff"

PA DOH 10/26/15 "NTM grow slowly and are commonly found in soil and water, including tap water. NTM are usually not harmful, but can cause infections in patients who have had invasive health care procedures and those with weakened immune systems. It does not normally make healthy people sick."

None of the guidance from CDC includes indications for employee evaluation or follow-up.
Our employees are voicing some concerns.  I would like input from anyone who has evaluated this situation.

Cathy Senior RN BSN CDE
Employee Health Director
Penn Highlands DuBois
100 Hospital Avenue
P.O. Box 447
DuBois Pa 15801
Phone 814-375-3392
Fax 814-372-2610
cesenior at phhealthcare.org
www.phhealthcare.org
[cid:image002.png at 01D2342E.2E921030]

This email and any attached files are sensitive in nature and intended solely for the intended recipient(s). If you are not the named recipient you should not read, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the author and do not represent those of Penn Highlands Healthcare or its affiliates.. Warning: Although precautions have been taken to make sure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage that arise from the use of this email or attachments.