[MCOH-EH] restrictions for pregnant HCW’s in morgues or autopsy suites?

Sparhawk, Dana P MD dsparhawk at Lifespan.org
Thu Nov 3 12:18:56 PDT 2016

Hi all,

Does anyone know of restrictions for pregnant HCW’s in autopsy suites or morgue areas?  The Department of Pathology “Autopsy Manual” at one of our hospitals states that individuals  “who are pregnant are not permitted to enter the autopsy suite at any time”.  (The manual was last revised in 1995.)   I have been asked to check out if there is any basis for such a restriction.  One of the pathology residents raised the concern because of what is in the manual vs what is actual practice.

Is anyone aware of any standards pertaining to pregnant HCW’s in morgues or autopsy suites?

Thanks

Dana

Dana Sparhawk, MD, MPH, FACOEM
Director, Lifespan Employee and Occupational Health Services
Clinical Assistant Professor, Alpert Medical School, Brown University
593 Eddy Street
Providence, RI  02903
(401) 444-7412

This transmission is intended only for the adressee(s) listed above and may contain information that is confidential and/or legally privileged.  If you are not the addresse, any use, disclosure, copying, or communication of the contents of this message is prohibited. Please contact me if this message was transmitted in error.  Thank you.