[MCOH-EH] BBP Safer Sharps

william hyman wahyman at gmail.com
Fri May 5 14:33:59 PDT 2017

>    1. Re:  BBP Safer Sharps (Dr Amber H Mitchell)
>
> As Dr, Mitchell  and I have discussed between us before, if 52% of
> injuries are non-safety then 48% are with (so called) safety. Part of that
> 48% is associated with non-activation, which is a serious issue. But
> another part is with activation, ie activating the device did not prevent
> the injury, or maybe even caused the injury. This is also a serious issue
> and it means that activating  some devices may not be a safe thing to do.
> This may be a link to the non-activations, ie people don't activate some
> devices because they correctly perceive that doing so can be dangerous.

   Not all devices named or designated as safety are actually safe when
used by real people in      the real environment of use. There can be a
difference between the apparent capability of some  devices to render the
sharp safe and whether this will actually occur on a consistent basis.
 Seemingly safe when demonstrated is not always good enough.