[MCOH-EH] Zebrafish Zoonotic Infections

Wintermeyer, Stephen F. swinterm at iu.edu
Fri Jul 21 10:19:00 PDT 2017

I have been asked by a researcher at our medical school to provide her with the following information about zebrafish.  She plans to start a research project using zebrafish.

What zoonotic infections are associated with zebrafish?
What work practices should be put in place to minimize risk of these zoonotic infections?
Is there any surveillance that should be done regarding researchers that work with zebrafish?

In my research, I have found little to suggest a significant zoonotic risk to researchers from zebrafish, but I would appreciate any input from Occ Med Physician with more experience dealing with such animals.

Thank you.

Stephen Wintermeyer, MD, MPH
Director
Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine

Campus Health
Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis
Coleman Hall, Suite 100
1140 West Michigan Street
Indianapolis, IN  46202
317-274-8214