[MCOH-EH] [EXTERNAL] Re: Holding Blood for HIV testing for 90 days

Kathy.Dayvault at dekalbmedical.org Kathy.Dayvault at dekalbmedical.org
Tue Sep 12 12:09:05 PDT 2017

Thanks,

You know these days with advances in technology and virology, a PCR is a
valuable tool.

Kathy Dayvault, RN, BSN, MPH
 Manager, Occupational Health and Safety
 WorksWell Onsite
 Dekalb Medical  2701 North Decatur Road
 Decatur, GA 30033
ph: 404.501.4972 Fax:404-501-2045
kathy.dayvault at dekalbmedical.org

From:   "Hodgson, Michael - OSHA" <Hodgson.Michael at dol.gov>
To:     MCOH/EH <mcoh-eh at mylist.net>,
Date:   09/12/2017 03:00 PM
Subject:        Re: [MCOH-EH] [EXTERNAL] Re: Holding Blood for HIV testing
for 90 days
Sent by:        "MCOH-EH" <mcoh-eh-bounces at mylist.net>

Hi, thanks for the inquiry, I asked Sheila Arbury, RN, MPH, our go-to BBP
staffer.  She pulled out one interpretation letter on this subject. It
upholds the 90-day preservation rule.  Waiting to hear back from
enforcement, but it’s not clear whether OSHA has actually ever cited
someone for the failure to follow the law.  Letter of July 16,2008:

Background: OSHA's Occupational Exposure to Bloodborne Pathogens standard
addresses the requirement for blood testing as part of a post exposure
evaluation at 29 CFR 1910.1030(f)(3)(iii)(B). The standard states: "If the
employee consents to baseline blood collection, but does not give consent
at that time for HIV serologic testing, the sample shall be preserved for
at least 90 days. If, within 90 days of the exposure incident, the
employee elects to have the baseline sample tested, such testing shall be
done as soon as feasible" (boldface added).

Question: It is our experience that laboratories will typically only store
a blood sample for 7-30 days. Following a work-related bloodborne
pathogens exposure incident, if an employee consents to baseline blood
collection, but does not give consent at that time for HIV serologic
testing, is it permissible for the employer to have the employee sign a
consent verifying their understanding of the lab's procedure of the 30-day
storage time frame?

Reply: No, an employer may not have employees sign a consent form waiving
the right to have untested baseline blood maintained for the minimum time
limitation of 90 days. According to the preamble to the final rule, the
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) stated, "the worker
should be advised to report and seek medical evaluation for any acute
febrile illness that occurs within 12 weeks after the exposure. Such an
illness, particularly one characterized by fever, rash, or
lymphadenopathy, may be indicative of recent HIV infection." The preamble
adds: "CDC has further stated that the first 6-12 weeks are 'when most
infected persons are expected to seroconvert' (Ex. 15, MMWR 1989; 38 [No.
S-6]:13)." The final rule specifically provides that untested baseline
blood samples be preserved for at least 90 days in order to account for
the 12 week post-exposure period when an acute retroviral illness may
develop and to afford the employee the opportunity to know his/her
immediate post-exposure HIV status even if consent for HIV testing was
initially withheld. [56 Federal Register 64159 (1991).]

https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=27199

Sheila Arbury, RN, MPH
Office of Occupational Medicine and Nursing