[MCOH-EH] Bloodborne pathogen employee testing

Seeburger, Sara SaraSeeburger at Centura.Org
Tue Sep 19 08:24:26 PDT 2017

Sorry all-
Try this (I am going to review this with on of our Occ Med Physicians prior to changing any policies we have, but right now we draw the exposed person on all exposures and I do not think we need to):

I found it in 3 places:

Source 2001 (still cited on CDC)

  1.  Updated U.S. Public Health Service Guidelines for the Management of Occupational Exposures to HBV, HCV, and HIV and Recommendations for Postexposure Prophylaxis

Individual institutions should establish policies and procedures for testing HCP for HCV after percutaneous or mucosal exposures to blood and ensure that all personnel are familiar with these policies and procedures. The following are recommendations for follow-up of occupational HCV exposures:

  *   For the source, perform testing for anti-HCV.
  *   For the person exposed to an HCV-positive source
  *   --- perform baseline testing for anti-HCV and ALT activity; and
  *   --- perform follow-up testing (e.g., at 4--6 months) for anti-HCV and ALT activity (if earlier diagnosis of HCV infection is desired, testing for HCV RNA may be performed at 4--6 weeks).
  *   Confirm all anti-HCV results reported positive by enzyme immunoassay using supplemental anti-HCV testing (e.g., recombinant immunoblot assay [RIBA™]) (13<https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00055154.htm>).

Management of Exposures to HIV

Clinical Evaluation and Baseline Testing of Exposed HCP

HCP exposed to HIV should be evaluated within hours (rather than days) after their exposure and should be tested for HIV at baseline (i.e., to establish infection status at the time of exposure). If the source person is seronegative for HIV, baseline testing or further follow-up of the exposed person normally is not necessary. Serologic testing should be made available to all HCP who are concerned that they might have been occupationally infected with HIV. For purposes of considering HIV PEP, the evaluation also should include information about medications the exposed person might be taking and any current or underlying medical conditions or circumstances (i.e., pregnancy, breast feeding, or renal or hepatic disease) that might influence drug selection.

  1.  It is in the PEP quick guide for Occupational Exposures:

http://nccc.ucsf.edu/clinical-resources/pep-resources/pep-quick-guide/

[cid:image001.png at 01D33079.17530850]

  1.  Also in SHEA guidance page 7.