[MCOH-EH] MCOH-EH Digest, Vol 252, BBP exposures

Harriman, Kathleen (CDPH-CID-DCDC-IMM) Kathleen.Harriman at cdph.ca.gov
Tue Nov 14 12:01:22 PST 2017

The CDC Guidance for Evaluating Health-Care Personnel for Hepatitis B Virus Protection and for Administering Postexposure Management, Recommendations and Reports, December 20, 2013 / 62(RR10);1-19 (https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr6210a1.htm) states that anti-HBs greater than or equal to 10 mIU/mL should only be used as a correlate of protection for HCP with documentation of a complete HepB vaccine series.  HCP who lack documentation of a dose or doses of HepB vaccine should be considered unvaccinated for those dose(s) for which documentation is lacking.  Please refer to Table 2 in the above referenced MMWR for the post-exposure management protocol, including for unvaccinated or incompletely vaccinated HCP.

Kathleen Harriman
Immunization Branch
California Department of Public Health
kathleen.harriman at cdph.ca.gov