[MCOH-EH] Laboratory screening and vaccinations appropriate for hospital contractors (not HCP)

Grubbs, Scott Scott_Grubbs at bshsi.org
Tue Dec 12 14:26:28 PST 2017

We are trying to come up with a rational approach to screening contractors who come into the hospital – plumbers, electricians, other trades.  Most of them will only be working the hospital for relatively short periods of time.

We are considering the following:

1: Hepatitis B surface antibody titer and offer the first vaccination if not immune

2: Respirator fit test

3: Measles, mumps and rubella:  Titers indicating immunity or proof of two  MMR vaccinations

4: Tuberculosis:  Negative T-spot, or negative Two-step PPD (TST)

5: Varicella: Titer indicating immunity or proof of two varicella vaccinations

6: 10-panel drug screen

Overall, the panel seems defensible.  I am curious if your institution has a similar approach?

(The one question I have at the moment is the need for the Hepatitis B surface antibody testing/vaccination.  Contractors should not be having direct patient contact, so the chance of transmitting/contracting Hepatitis B seems remote.  However, I wonder if Hepatitis B surface antigen would make more sense, because if they get injured, they might bleed and be a source of transmission of Hepatitis B. )

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Scott Grubbs, MD
WorkWell Occupational Health
Greenville, SC

The information in this communication is intended to be confidential to the Individual(s) and/or Entity to whom it is addressed.
It may contain information of a Privileged and/or Confidential nature, which is subject to Federal and/or State privacy regulations.
In the event that you are not the intended recipient or the agent of the intended recipient, do not copy or use the information
contained within this communication, or allow it to be read, copied or utilized in any manner, by any other person(s). Should
this communication be received in error, please notify the sender immediately either by response e-mail or by phone,
and permanently delete the original e-mail, attachment(s), and any copies.