[MCOH-EH] BBP serial testing

Nancy Rodway nrodway at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 21 06:54:23 PST 2017

We tailor the labs to the pathogen of concern, so we limit post exposure testing (except the t=0 series) of the exposed worker to those blood tests that detect any source positives. This is why:  If you have an initial Hep C neg in the source and then the employee was initially negative but then converts to positive, that would be very difficult to interpret.  Is this occupational?  Is this personal?  What do you do with the source patient?  You cannot notify the source patient of the private information of the exposed worker but you are assuming that the "source" of the Hep C was the source patient.  Do you tell the source?   How would the source be then "confirmed" serologically? Is this a public health concern?    etc etc.
So, if the source is completely negative, the exposed worker has no further testing beyond t=0.

Nancy Rodway MD MPH FACOEM