[MCOH-EH] light or restricted duty

Shea, Joann jshea at tgh.org
Thu Mar 1 13:18:58 PST 2018

Our modified duty workers are paid full salary.  Their department pays out of their budget and 90% use their employees in their own department.  The other 10% are assigned to other areas but the original department pays for them.   For the 10% who are assigned outside their dept, we have some designated jobs, depending on skill sets, in various areas (discharge phone calls,  volunteer service deliveries,  data entry, rolling silverware, etc).  85% are on modified duty 3 months or less.

Over 20 years ago we had a modified duty cost center in Employee Health, but we found that the adage“out of sight..out of mind” was the trend in our facility, as departments were less engaged in bringing the employee back to work and to work on safety issues.   Since the manager is paying for the employee while on modified duty, we have had much more interest in injury prevention measures and working with our team to get the employee back to full duty.   JoAnn

[TGH_employee health serv-color]
JoAnn Shea, ARNP, MS, COHN-S
Director, Employee Health & Wellness      “Caring for our Caregivers”