[MCOH-EH] BBP exposure serial testing

Rolando, Lori lori.rolando at Vanderbilt.Edu
Mon Mar 19 09:31:47 PDT 2018

We use the 4th generation combination HIV Ag/Ab test for employees post-exposure, so we do testing for HIV at 6 weeks and 4 months based on the current recommendations (see first linked document under "Protecting Healthcare Personnel from HIV" at https://www.cdc.gov/hai/organisms/hiv/hiv.html Summary on page 3 and page 27 for detailed info )

As far as Hepatitis C testing , we do Hep C PCR at 6 weeks (can be any time after 3 weeks, so since the person is coming back for 6 week HIV, we do both at the same time) and if that is negative, we do not do any further testing. Based on new algorithm from CDC.  https://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/pdfs/testing-followup-exposed-hc-personnel.pdf

Lori A Rolando, MD MPH FACOEM
Director, Vanderbilt Occupational Health Clinic
615-936-0955 (p)
615-936-0966 (f)

From: MCOH-EH [mailto:mcoh-eh-bounces at mylist.net] On Behalf Of Morelli, Karen J
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2018 11:11 AM
To: 'mcoh-eh at mylist.net'
Subject: [MCOH-EH] BBP exposure serial testing

Good Afternoon,
I would like to hear what others are doing for blood borne pathogen serial test timing.  We had been doing testing at 6 weeks, 3  and 6 months for HIV, Hep C and Hep B.  However, looking at the CDC guidelines, depending on the pathogen, baseline and at 6 months may be all that is recommended.  I am in the midst of updating our policy to reflect what the CDC recommends but wanted to get your input as well.
Thank you!
Karen

Karen Morelli RN, BSN, Clinical Manager
WorkHealth LLC
973-7382
kmorelli at emhs.org<mailto:kmorelli at emhs.org>

[cid:image003.jpg at 01D2A7DC.8A3D69D0]
BANGOR | PITTSFIELD | PORTLAND | PRESQUE ISLE